Thursday, November 4, 2010
Update on Hope
Tuesday Nov. 2 we went back down to Denver to see the cardiologist and hopefully make some kind of plan for the delivery. I thought I was 32 weeks but was told I was 33 weeks along (it's always nice to gain a week when you're prego). We ended up getting to meet with the surgeon and discuss options. His opinion was that if baby Hope is doing ok, they will try to do her heart surgery within a week after the birth. However, the severity of the problem would require a surgery that would only allow her to use one side of her heart. It would require several subsequent surgeries to complete the job. He did say that the mortality rate for the surgery on a brand new baby is significant. After we left feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the decisions, the cardiologist (Dr. Miller) called Brian and asked if he could send our info to Mayo in Minnesota to get there opinion on surgery options. So now we are waiting to hear if they think they could fix the problem and allow her to use her whole heart (a much better scenario in the long run). The good news from the visit: they seemed a little more positive about her outcome then the past visits. The bottom line: they really don't know how she will do after birth and everything really depends on that - she could do ok and be able to tolerate a major surgery or she could do really bad and they would only be able to provide comfort measures. So you might be wondering how we are doing. I think the best way to describe it is overwhelmed...not only by the decisions that have to be made, but by the issues they raise with having four other kids to consider (and at Christmas time no less). I fluctuate between planning her memorial service and planning her surgery. And I have to continually tell myself to take things one day at a time, not to think about all the what ifs (especially if we have to go to Mayo), and that God is in control. He made Hope just how He wanted her to be and gave her to us for however long she has. I have to trust that He will be with us whatever happens and will get us through. So for now we wait, try to make the best decisions for our family, and trust in the Lord with all our hearts. Thanks for listening.